Young Leaders Seminar
Description of the Program
Since 2013, thanks to the sponsorship of the Florida State Legislature, the IPMCS' Center for Democracy and Good Governance has been conducting a Seminar for young people of the Hemisphere who have reached leadership positions in their respective countries. The seminar aims to allow participants to learn about the functioning of democratic institutions at the local and State level and to establish lasting contacts with the leaders of the state of Florida.
The Seminar runs for one week, where participants attend talks and meet with academics, public sector and non-profit officials, and elected officials from the Miami-Dade County and Florida State government. The seminar takes place in the cities of Miami and Tallahassee.
Those interested can fill out the application online and will be chosen based on merits. The program includes a return ticket from the participant's hometown to Miami, transfers to Tallahassee, stay at hotels designated by the seminar organizers, the cost of issuing the entry visa to the United States (if the participant needs one) and per diem during the seminar.
Previous seminars have included the participation of national, regional and local legislators (deputies, senators, congressmen, assembly members), cabinet ministers, governors, ex-ambassadors, mayors, university leaders and leaders of various political parties.
- To be between 20 and 40 years old
- To occupy or have recently occupied a popular elected position, a public position in a leadership position, or a directive position in a national political party or NGO. Priority will be given to ministers of youth (or other ministers), legislators and other popularly elected officials.
The V seminar will be held from March 13 to 17, 2017. Participants will arrive in Miami on Sunday, March 12 and will be able to return to their home city from the night of March 17. Other details will be sent to those who are chosen via email.
About the selection of participants
- For 2017, a maximum of 15 participants will be selected.
- In order to carry out the selection process of the participants, the IPMCS will appoint a qualifying committee in charge of analyzing and processing the applications submitted.
- Given the number of applications that can be received, those who meet the requirements will be selected and whose participation contributes to the achievement of the objectives of the seminar giving priority to those mentioned in the requirements.
- The Qualification Committee will notify electronically those who register for the competition about the result of the contest.
- The IPMCS reserves the right to provide interested parties with details about the selection process and the selection criteria.
How to participate?
Those wishing to participate in the contest must submit their application before 11:59 PM (EST) on Friday, February 17, 2017. Those who are chosen will be notified between February 20 and 24.
The application requires a photo of your face to be used in social networks, web page and event program, a personal statement or letter of intent (maximum 300 words) and a brief biographical or semblance (max 200 words).
This call is already closed
Click here to view previous seminar reports